Saturday, March 18, 2006

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

Listening to Irish punk while drinking beer (no whisky in the house, probably a good thing) is a great way to celebrate St. Paddy's day and lift one's spirits a bit after two weeks of Lent. Of course, the Catholics get a dispensation for corned beef today. No such luck for those of the eastern persuasion. I'm tempted to sniff and feel a bit superior until I remember hearing that the ancient Irish monks were allowed game in honor of the saint -- a huge boon, since traditionally monastics don't eat meat at all, especially during Lent! Certainly one of the beauties of Christianity is its insistance on the ability of the material to represent and even interact with the spiritual. I had a somewhat coherent post in mind, but as I try to order my thoughts my sweet husband has taken to singing the praises of whisky with the closest equivalent in the house: tequila, e.g. "There's nothing like whisky to make maidens frisky."Oh dear. Maybe a coherent post will have to wait until tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

who art thou, brother?

I was wandering around looking up orthodox stuff and found you. I'm also Orthodox and living in Santa Fe. Woh. So check out my crazy insane blog and maybe let's interact!

God bless,

Moisseia Stephanata

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home