Friday, June 11, 2004

Short update from Kodiak, Alaska. It's beautiful up here. I haven't gotten to see much of Kodiak yet; it's been cloudy and rainy since we got here a few days ago. I'm told there are mountains, but I haven't seen any yet. Today it's been raining pretty steadily and it's in the 40's. Nothing dries up here, it's too humid, so my shoes have been a very cold shade of damp for the last several days, ever since hiking around the glacier in Seward. But don't get me wrong, it's great. People keep apologizing for the weather (as if they could do anything about it) but after New Mexico I'm loving the grey and cold. All the hills I can see are a rich green and you see water everywhere. Lots of gulls and an occasional bald eagle. A three masted sailing ship docked in one of the harbors a few days ago. It was one of those floating classrooms, where you spend a year at sea sailing around the world. The students learn how to sail the ship, set the sails, everything. We got to tour the ship and meet some of the students and the captain. I was told that that particular ship got around Cape Horn a few years ago, yard arms in the water the whole way with hurricane force winds. Very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home