Saturday, April 03, 2004

So today (the few hours left of it) is Lazarus Satruday. In the Orthodox (Christian) Church, the Saturday before Palm Sunday we remember Christ’s raising Lazarus, who had been dead four days, as recounted in John‘s gospel. I hadn’t realized it, but the four days is essential to the story. According to Jewish tradition at the time, the soul remained near the body for the first three days after death. Elijah, Elisha, and Christ Himself raised people from the dead during these first three days. But on the fourth day the soul departed and went to Hades, Gehenna, the place of the dead from which no one had ever returned.

In the gospel account, Mary, Lazarus’ sister comes to Jesus and says, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” She believes that He could have healed Lazarus but now that he is dead he is beyond even Jesus’ power. Death is the end, the final word, the final defeat. By calling Lazarus out of the tomb, Christ does something completely new and changes everyone’s basic conceptions of life and death.

Here is an excerpt from some of the hymns sung for today:

When Lazarus, four days dead, heard Thy voice below, O Savior, he rose up and sang Thy praises, crying joyfully: “Thous art my God and Maker; I glorify and worship Thee, for Thou hast raised me up.”

“Though I lie in bonds, O Savior,” Lazarus cried from below to Thee his Deliverer, “Yet shall I not remain for ever in the depths of hell, if Thou wilt only call to me, ‘Lazarus, come out,’ for Thou art my Light and my Life.”

“I implore thee, Lazarus,” said Hell, “rise up, depart quickly from my bonds and be gone. It is better for me to lament bitterly for the loss of one, rather than of all those whom I swallowed in my hunger.”

“Why dost thou delay, Lazarus?” cried Hell. “Thy friend stands calling to thee, ‘Come out.’ Go then, and I too shall feel relief. For since I swallowed thee, all other food is loathsome to me.”

“O Lazarus, why dost thou not rise up swiftly?” cried Hell below, lamenting. “Why dost thou not run straightway from this place? Lest Christ take prisoner the others, after raising thee.”

Let Bethany sing with us in praise of the miracle, for there the Creator wept for Lazarus in accordance with the law of nature and the flesh. Then, making Martha’s tears to cease and changing Mary’s grief to joy, Christ raised him from the dead.


This upcoming week of Holy Week is an intense, all-consuming, extremely beautiful week in the Orthodox Church. I’ll try to post some of the highlights from the services, with possibly a few comments, if I’m up to it. I think you'll enjoy it, even if you’re not particularly interested in Chrisitanity or Orthodoxy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Shirley M said...

Great readd thanks

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home