Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Made the long trek from Northen New Mexico to the lush hills and plains of central Texas. It was a relatively uneventful drive, especially considering most of it was through the back roads of Texas in the middle of the night. The problem with back country roads at night is, of course, the wildlife, so I had to keep pretty alert to look for deer. Fortunately deer (at least the ones I saw) had the sense to realize that the best way to avoid getting hit is to run away from the road, and not across it like rabbits or squirrels. I think I saw a pretty large snake slither off the road, and I startled a fawn that was resting right next to the road, I think I saw an opossum and a cat, but that was about it.

Spent the first day in TX high off the extra oxygen, the water and humidity and the green of spring in full bloom. Although it's still too early for bluebonnet season, a few early bloomers are out, much to my delight. You can tell I've lived in the desert too long when my first instinctual thought on seeing so much green grass is something like, "How do they water it all?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home